What are your take-aways from the above eaglet story?
Well, let's reflect on a few things:
- The environment and the belief system made the eaglet to behave like chicken.
- It admired majestic birds flying on their wings, but felt helpless.
- It did try to fly, but kept bouncing back like a chicken and the helplessness continued
- But one day the eaglet was faced with a hard decision:
- "Do I continue to go on with life as I have always lived or do I take what it is to fly like a bird?'
Although it had strong wings to change its position, the eaglet felt helpless and powerless due to the conditioning.
Like the eaglet, being conditioned to repeated negative experiences, could lead to a web of feeling powerless and incapable of changing situation for the good. It can become learnt helplessness.